Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sarcasm training

I've been helping out in Veronica's class once a week for the past few weeks, helping with math games. The kids seem to enjoy it, and while I don't love teaching and really wouldn't have the patience to do it full-time, I'm happy to help the teacher and get to know Veronica's classmates and see how she interacts. (Plus, as the youngest, I feel she's had the least amount of my time in school, so I owe her.)

This week, we were doing rudimentary multiplication, rolling a six-sided die to determine which two numbers we would work with. Two girls ended up with 3 and 1, and I said, "Oh, wow, what a tough problem." They both looked at me with completely blank faces, clearly wondering what was wrong with me ... and then the light dawned, and they laughed, and spent the rest of the session trying to decide what the toughest problem in the history of the world was (they settled on 0 + 0). I've had teachers remark to me that they like having my kids in class because they "get" sarcasm ... hopefully I've helped these two young ladies along that road as well!

1 comment: